The big news is that once again, I have not been accepted into the nursing program. But some great support from family, friends, Heavenly Father, and myself to realize that something better is in store for me at this time.
I've met with my bishop consecutively now for two weeks so that he could help me find the direction I need and discuss the doorways that may have been open.
Lessons I learned:
1. God really does know us and answer prayers. I had three concerning matters/questions going in to the meeting my first time and without even telling the bishop them, he touched on all three. This definitely had to come from divine inspiration and the fact that our Heavenly Father knows us personally.
2. Talking to a bishop really does help.
3. Talking to a bishop doesn't mean you're gonna find answers right then, but rather he points you towards steps you can take in order to find your answers.
My bishop challenged me to write in my journal every day about things I accomplish, who I have helped serve, how I've seen the Lord's hand, and to also list everything I am grateful for. Then he told me to also include these things in my prayers. And then of course to continue reading the scriptures and really pondering and praying about them. He also told me to go into the Lord's house and do baptisms and ponder there as well.
Through all this I have definitely found a happier me. I have also realized that I basically knew the direction I was supposed to take all along, it was a matter of just trusting myself. I learned also that I am capable of making my own decisions as long as I do so and act on them in righteousness. People have been telling me this all along, I guess I just needed to learn that myself through constant scripture study.
So that has been the studying that I have thoroughly enjoyed. The studying that sometimes stinks is the studying for school classes.
I had a really hard time concentrating and trying to study for my microbiology test last weekend and so I was really freaking out. I had studied the first 3 out of 6 chapters for the test pretty good, but there was no way I was going to be able to study the last 3 in the two hours I pretty much had left. So I briefly looked at them and continued on with trying to really get the first 3 chapters imprinted in my brain. I prayed that I could have help in my studying, but it just wasn't happening as much as I had liked. Instead I asked that He would help me in trying to use my brain to figure out answers for the other 50% of the test. Needless to say, I came out of the testing center with a 63%. I was so relieved! Then in class this last Monday, my teacher said that there were two retarded questions on the test, so he added another 3.2% to our scores. Plus I get 6 points extra credit which should bring me up to like a 72% or something! I am so dang happy though! And I definitely thanked Heavenly Father after taking that test! (And to think I cried after a got a 68% on the previous test? haha I'm silly)
But, today in Doctrine and Covenants my teacher read this quote.
"I would counsel all students, if they can, to arrange their schedules so that they do not study on the Sabbath."
James E. Faust (1991 General Conference)
I myself have definitely been blessed for following Pres. Faust's counsel. On Sundays I try to study up in the scriptures and really make the Sabbath day the Lord's day. This last Sunday I was definitely late for church because I so concentrated on my scripture study. I did not want to stop. I can't wait til I'm on a mission and it will be to concentrate on gospel matters for 18 months! I know that as long as I study the right material on the Sabbath, the Lord will make up the rest of my studying that I can't get throughout the week!
Great post Rebekah! I'm glad you're feeling so happy and positive about your future. :-) I appreciate the reminders that scripture study can really bless our lives.
ReplyDelete